How to Get a Right Set of Dumbbells for Martial Art Workout?
History of Dumbbells
Dumbbells are one of the most useful and versatile pieces of exercise equipment you can actually own. They are believed to have been invented by the ancient Greeks as a piece of equipment known as haltere. Originally, dumbbells were crescent shaped stones with a handle and were used as weight in long jump events as well as lifting weight. Later they were used by English bell-ringers as a silent way to build strength. But by early 17-th century, the familiar shape of the dumbbell had appeared i.e. with 2 equal weights attached to a handle. Today, there are a wide variety of shapes and styles and its common place is the gyms throughout the world. They are also available with both variable and fixed weights.
How Current Martial Arts Master and Practitioners Use Dumbbells in Their Training
Martial Arts is all about physicality (optimizing the use of strength) with good techniques. You need to be reasonably strong before you start sparring against fully resisting opponents. So strength and power are important components of the physicality needed to execute any Martial Arts technique properly. And lifting weights is no doubt the most efficient way for getting the strength. For example, you can perform the windmill exercise with a set of dumbbells to improve your shoulder stability and rotational core strength as a martial artist.
Types of Dumbbells
Dumbbells come in surprisingly so many varieties. Therefore, it can be a little over-whelming to decide which one to buy so here is a list of the most common dumbbells you will find in most stores.
- Fixed Weight Dumbbells – These are by far the best dumbbells for most types of workouts. They are available in a wide variety of colors and styles. In addition, they are normally octagon or hex shaped and some are covered in vinyl, others cast iron, others neoprene while others rigid plastic. However, training with these dumbbells means you’ll have an awful lot of them most especially if you usually train with heavier weights. The lightest dumbbells are around 0.25-kg, 0.5-kg and 1-kg.
- Adjustable Weight Dumbbells – While fixed-weight dumbbells are usually one solid piece, adjustable dumbbells normally have 3 main parts i.e. a lock to hold plates in place, a dumbbell bar and weight plates. These dumbbells typically support up-to about 50 lb hence perfect for the individual with somewhat aggressive fitness goals.
- Selectorized Dumbbells – These dumbbells have adjustable weights thereby offering users a more convenient and easy way to adjust weights. The weights can be adjusted when resting in the dumbbell stand by simply moving selector pins or even turning a dial between exercises instead of manually adding or removing the plates.
How to Choose the Right Set of Dumbbells
- Know your goals – Setting your goals will guide your dumbbell selection process. For example, if general fitness or toning up is your goal then you will definitely not want a lot of weight- up-to about 20 pounds for men and maybe up-to 12 pounds for women would be a good bet.
- Choose the dumbbell with weight that corresponds to the type of exercise you will be doing.
- Consult with your master or instructor so he/she can evaluate your strength and advise you which is the best dumbbell weight for you.
- Budget – fixed weight dumbbells are a bit more expensive compared to adjustable ones.
Regardless of your fitness level as a martial artist, you will definitely benefit a lot from having the best dumbbells to use during your Martial Arts Training. So it is so important to get a set of right dumbbells that best suit your workout and training!