Jiu Jitsu is a combat sport in the category of Martial Arts that aims at equipping one with self-defense techniques. It mainly focuses on grappling and more of ground fighting activities. The Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a historical activity that dates back in the 80’s. It was formed from the Kodokan Judo, taught between 1860-1938 by Martial Art instructors such as Mitsuyo Maeda, Soshihiro Satake, and Takeo Yano.
The first Judo school in Brazil was built in 1909 which laid a major foundation to the teaching of Jiu Jitsu to different Brazilian students. The Jiu Jitsu was then initiated by Helio Gracie and Carlos through experiments, adaptations, and practices from Judo. Gracie and Carlos then passed this trait to the extended family until Jiu Jitsu was fully established.
Types of Jiu Jitsu
There are three main types of Jiu Jitsu. These include:
1. Classical or the traditional Jiu Jitsu – An example of traditional Jiu Jitsu activities include the Takenouchi-Ryu Aiki-jujutsu, Daito-Ryu-jujutsu, Sosuishitsu-Ryu, among others.
2. Gendai or modern Jiu Jitsu – This comprises of martial activities such as Miyama-Ryu jujutsu, Senshin-Ryu Goshin-Jutsu among others.
3. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu – This is represented by Gracie Jiu Jitsu and the Machado Jiu Jitsu.
Aim of Jiu Jitsu
The main aim of Jiu Jitsu was to empower small and weaker individual in the community to defend themselves against assaulters and other bigger and might individuals. This was done by impacting proper fighting techniques, leverage and in particular ground fights. The weaker persons were then shown how to use chokeholds and joint locks to combat and vanquish their opponents.
Reasons to Engage in BJJ
The modern Brazilian society, as well as other communities in different regions of the world, are adopting Jiu Jitsu not only as a sport or Martial Art but as an encounter to change their lives. This is due to numerous benefits attributed to this activity. These benefits among others include:
- Personal protection. Jiu Jitsu is an effective way to help you defend yourself in situations such as an attack by robbers, personal conflicts, and fights, among others.
- Regular training helps to improve your general health.
- Enhance your body flexibility and fitness.
- It is a perfect way to help individual generate a positive attitude towards life. The current life has equipped people with many negative influences that affect their lives and hinders their growth and development. Engagement in Jiu Jitsu is a perfect way to eliminate such influences.
- Brazilian Jiu Jitsu helps you to mentally equip yourself for different challenging situations in life. For instance, if you are the kind of a person who quickly gets frustrated after being challenged, Jiu Jitsu helps you gain persistence and confidence in yourself despite how hard things are.
- Jiu Jitsu helps you gain mental strength to overcome hard situations in life.
- Brazilian Jiu Jitsu acts a stress reliever. Every person whether a student, a doctor, an accountant, a farmer has his or her own stress. You can, therefore, engage in Jiu Jitsu to eliminate stress. In life hence a healthy living.
Jiu Jitsu is a perfect activity for everyone. Bearing in mind the many benefits attributed to this exercise, it is evident that Jiu Jitsu is the perfect activity for you. If you are interested in Jiu Jitsu training, you can find out more in our Jiu Jitsu Classes!