What is Wushu Martial Arts?
“Wushu” in Mandarin means Martial Art, so from a Chinese perspective it would mean everything under the purview of martial arts. However, in the modern context, it means a specific form of martial art with artistic expressions & more difficult maneuvers, with roots deep in the Chinese culture. Wushu involves kicking, punching, joint locks, throwing, jumping kicks, ground fighting, and tumbling for performance and battle. Wushu has many different forms and uses over 18 weapons.
Major Functions of Wushu Martial Training
Wushu martial arts can be a safe and enjoyable sport for men and women, young and old. It offers many benefits, some of the most prominent are:
- Moral Values: Wushu practice stresses on cultivation of good manners and moral character.
- Offense and Defence Techniques: Wushu students learn to master various offense and defense techniques of armed and unarmed combat for self defense.
- Healing: Various exercises emphasize on controlling one’s breathing, thoughts and emotions, which have been proven to improve immune system and prevent & cure many diseases.
- Flexibility: with regular Wushu practice, the arms, chest, backs and shoulders are in constant motion. It gives a good stretch to your ankles and wrists.
- Stronger Muscles & Bones: The practice of Wushu exercises is effective in improving the pliability of the joints and the suppleness of the back and legs and also improves the general strength & the energy level of the body.
- Balance: Wushu helps in attaining good body balance. A person learns how to focus his or her body at the central point. Even in rapid movement the person does not lose his balance.
- Coordination: Wushu helps in attaining a good coordination between hand, eye and other body parts. It is very beneficial for children. Wushu practitioners hardly topple anything and have more gravity in their body.
- Graceful Movement: The techniques use a lot of oriental charm and gracefulness that makes the movements more fluid & artistic.
- Improved Intelligence & Confidence: Wushu emphasizes a lot on thinking and decision making, hence helps in improving the intellectual abilities and overall confidence levels.
- Stamina: with a strong body and stable mind, a person builds up excellent stamina. You develop good will power and slowly are able to control your mind over your body.
- Recreation: Wushu is not only for improved defense techniques, but also a high energy sport that leaves you fully- refreshed.
Wushu increases the reflexes of your body and thus improves the body awareness. With a firm and lean body, you are swifter in your daily bodily movements. Your mind is under your control, which makes you very different from rest of the masses. Over the years it has been noted that people who have enrolled for Wushu martial art classes have much less body ailments as compared to others who practice other forms of physical activities.
So, a great way to learn Wushu is to join our traditional Wushu Martial Arts Classes in Singapore. Our program helps you become a better person- physically, mentally and emotionally.
Sign up for our Wushu classes now!